My Sister Betrayed Me Before My Wedding—So I Spoke Up
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Let me say the weeks before my wedding should have been some of the happiest in my life, but they were not. It was supposed to be some of the best weeks of my life, because it was the week before I got married and there was excitement, there was last minute planning, and it was just like the days were counted down. Rather, they became something else: something heavier, something I could never have imagined: heartbreak from the person I trusted most in this world: my sister.
She was always more than just your mom to me. She was my best girl, my support, my companion with whom I shared every secret with her. I never knew that she was gossiping about me behind my back; she was sharing private information and she was twisting it around for me to make me look bad.
I didn't even get a response from me at first. I felt numb. I replayed all of this in my head hoping it wasn't true. As time went on, it was easier and easier to see that none of it was going to be easy to deal with. Not only was it gossip, it was betrayal, and it was during a very significant time in my life.
I knew that I could no longer keep my mouth shut at the rehearsal dinner. I found her before all this happened alone. I was all worked up, but I pushed myself to talk. I explained to her the hurt she caused me, how she was breaking my trust, how I was doubting everything I knew about her and our relationship.
Surprisingly, she didn't complain. Instead, she cried and cried. She confessed to feeling left out, being overwhelmed, for a long time, which she hadn't expressed to me before. Nothing could make the pain go away, but it did help me to identify where the pain was coming from.
Our discussion went a little off track. It was emotional, messy and uncomfortable but honest. That was not the end of all the fixes, but something in a different way changed. I stood up for myself, I put a boundary up, and I said that trust is something that is hard to recover from once it's lost.
As my wedding day arrived, I was experiencing a range of emotions: relief, strength, and a subtle sense of hope. I was standing among those that I really trusted. Not only was it different now, though, but my sister was there as well. She was no longer someone I could just take for granted that I could trust she was someone I had to gain the trust of over time.
Went to a great deal of trouble to say it, particularly at this significant occasion. But in the end, it made me think of something that is important, protecting your peace and your voice is important, sometimes it is difficult, sometimes it is easier.
READ MORE :
When the Sister‑in‑Law Plays “Bride” Too: A Story of Wedding Drama & Boundaries
SIL Keeps Scheduling Over My Events—Coincidence or Just Plain Disrespect?
She Bullied Me for Years—Now My Mom Wants Us to Be a Family?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment